I absolutely LOVE doing engagement shoots! (And here’s why.)
So let’s talk about how to prepare. Here are my top tips:
- Select your location. Choose a place that has special meaning for you as a couple. Or try out locations you might want to use on your wedding day. Or ask your photographer for favorite spots. (Oh, I’ve got my faves!)
- Select the time. Your photographer will help you with this. Most of us like to shoot in what we call “the golden hour,” the last hour or two before sunset. That’s when the light is soft, warm and oh, does it ever glow. But not all couples can m ake that time work, so good photographers know how to make any time of day amazing!
- Select your outfits. (My husband says men don’t wear “outfits.” But yes, you do. You wear pants, shirts and shoes, and if your wife, girlfriend or fiancee helped you pick them out, it’s an outfit.) Wear something that makes you feel gorgeous! That’s most important. After that, make sure it’s comfortable and easy to move in. Make sure it fits great and doesn’t cause you to tug or adjust or worry that your bra strap is showing. I love soft neutrals but again, where what you love! Try to avoid super-bright colors or teeny-tiny stripes or checks. If you’re wearing high-heels, you might want to bring along a pair of easy walking shoes, too, to slip into when we’re moving from one location to another. Feel free to bring a change of clothes. Many couples start in a casual outfit and change into something a bit dressier for the second half. (Just make sure your photographer knows you’re doing a change of clothes so he/she can work that into the shoot’s timeline.)
- Select music you love. Send your photographer a playlist of your favorite music. Having music playing helps everybody relax and have fun.
- Chill. It’s going to be fun. Great photographers know most people feel a bit uncomfortable in front of the camera. (Almost every couple tells me they’re awkward. Whatevs!) I always give my couples simple direction that gets them moving and laughing and looking completely natural and at ease!